Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Technology and Communication

Sometimes technology still amazes me. I lived before the days of cell phones and instant internet- or any internet for that reason. We have so many ways to communicate with other people.

Take the cell phone- When I was in high school, my parents had no way to get a hold of me. We arranged times and we did lots of waiting- on both sides. When I was pregnant with my first daughter, I worried about getting a hold of Ashley if I went into labor. We were very blessed when he was able to get a pager from Novell. My first cell phone was the brick kind. My BIL Hyrum got a new phone and gave me his phone. It was my emergency only phone and I had about 30 minutes a month on my plan. My next phone was a T-Mobile phone I got when we moved to Texas. That was acquired after having my car slowly die on the way home from the airport on a Sunday afternoon. We were very blessed to make it to a Sears Automotive store. We called our friend who came and rescued us. Now my cell phone is quite small and I miss place it frequently. My cell phone is my friend. We are together almost all the time. It allows me to communicate with those I love best. Ashley travels often. With the phone, he can participate in family prayers with us and keep up with the kids. I know this is possible with just the regular phone. But he is often in different time zones and sometimes we are not at home when he calls.

I love facebook. It is my new addiction. I have chatted with several people this week alone who I have not talked to for years! I also chat with my brother David, who I have talked to on the phone once in the past 10 years. I have also met up friends from high school. How cool is that!

Take a minute and communicate your love and appreciation to someone else today. Have a great day!

5 Comments:

Blogger nomo wino daph said...

Isn't technology just THE BEST!

I remember in high school using my parents BAG PHONE bwahaha and thought I was THE STUFF!! bwah

10:30 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

yea that brick phone was so cool!!! hah. Now I love the ability to check in with my family. How are you doing?

2:13 PM  
Blogger Margie @ Smiles Forever Photo said...

Technology is a WONDERFUL thing...

My heart is touched daily by my Friends that I would not have that chance without it...

Just sending some Hugs and Love your way today!!

XOXO, M

2:07 PM  
Blogger Sara Beth said...

ohhh so glad Daph's blog directed me here:)
I hear ya about the days before cell phones and internet. I remember when my parents got their first computer and signed up for "this new things called Prodigy" My kids cant believe I didnt have a cell phone until I was in my 20's.

your family is beautiful Julie!

2:54 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Thanks for all the kind words- great to see you Margie!

5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

counter free hit invisible
Tech support by Rey